Back to Question & Answers

Is Trich tested in a routine std panel for male patients? If not is there any sort of reliable test available?

In Manitoba there is no trichomoniasis test available for people with penises, though there is for people with vaginas. (Trichomoniasis is a sexually transmitted infection that affects vaginas more than penises.)

Many men with “trich” often don’t have noticeable symptoms. When people with penises do report symptoms, they are generally similar to chlamydia or gonorrhea, so providers often test for and treat those STIs first. If symptoms persist in a penis, the clinician may treat for trichomoniasis with antibiotics based on individual clinical assessment or a trich diagnosis of their sexual partner(s). The patient may also be screened for urethritis or Mycoplasma at this time, to be sure that the root cause is not overlooked.

In the meantime, it’s recommended that someone who is unsure of their status, or having symptoms, or waiting for test results or being treated, abstain from sexual activity or use condoms and lube if they continue to have sex. We’d encourage their partner(s) to be STI tested and treated too.